12个月的英语名称来历
公历一年有12个月,但不少人并不知道12 个月的英语名称的来历。公历起源于古罗马历法。罗马的英语原来只有10 个月,古罗马皇帝决定增加两个月放在年尾,后来朱里斯*撒大帝把这两个月移到年初,成为1月.2月,原来的1月.2月便成了3月.4月,依次类推。这就是今天世界沿用的公历。
January——1月
在罗马传说中,有一位名叫雅努斯的守护神,生有先后两副脸,一副回顾过去,一副要眺望未来。人们认为选择他的名字作为除旧迎新的第一个月月名,很有意义。英语
January,便是由这位守护神的拉丁文名字January演变而来的。
February——2月
每年2 月初,罗马人民都要杀牲饮酒,欢庆菲勃卢姆节。这一天,人们常用一种牛、草制成的名叫Februa的鞭子,抽打不育的妇女,以求怀孕生子。这一天,人们还要忏悔自己过去一年的罪过,洗刷自己的灵魂,求得神明的饶恕,使自己成为一个贞洁的人。英语2月February,便是由拉丁文Februar-ius(即菲勃卢姆节)演变而来。
March-----3月
3月,原是罗马旧历法的1 月,新年的开始。凯撒大帝改革历法后,原来的1月变成3月,但罗马人仍然把3 月看做是一年的开始。另外,按照传统习惯,3月是每年出征远战的季节。为了纪念战神玛尔斯,人们便把这位战神的拉丁名字作为3月的月名。英语3月March,便是由这位战神的名字演变而来的。
April——4月
罗马的4月,正是大地回春.鲜花初绽的美好季节。英文4月April便由拉丁文April(即开花的日子)演变而来。
May——5月
罗马神话中的女神玛雅,专门司管春天和生命。为了纪念这位女神,罗马人便用她的名字——拉丁文Maius命名5月,英文5月May便由这位女神的名字演变而来。
June——6月
罗马神话中的裘诺,是众神之王,又是司管生育和保护妇女的神。古罗马对她十分崇
敬,便把6月奉献给她,以她的名字——拉丁文Junius来命名6 月。英语6月June便由这位女神的名字演变而来。也有学者认为,Junius可能是个代拉丁家族中一个显赫贵族的姓氏。
July——7月
罗马统治者朱里斯*凯撒大帝被刺死后,著名的罗马将军马克*按东尼建议将凯撒大帝诞生的7月,用凯撒的名字——拉丁文Julius(即朱里斯)命名之。这一建议得到了元老院的通过。英语7月July由此演变而来。
August——8月
朱里斯*凯撒死后,由他的甥孙屋大维续任罗马皇帝。为了和凯撒齐名,他也想用自己的名字来命名一个月份。他的生日在9月,但他选定8月。因为他登基后,罗马元老院在8 月授予他Augustus(奥古斯都)的尊号。于是,他决定用这个尊号来命名8月。原来8月比7月少一天,为了和凯撒平起平坐,他又决定从2月中抽出一天加在8月
上。从此,2月便少了一天。英语8月August便由这位皇帝的拉丁语尊号演变而来。
September——9月
老历法的7月,正是凯撒大帝改革历法后的9月,拉丁文Septem是"7"月的意思。虽然历法改革了,但人们仍袭用旧名称来称呼9月。英语9月September,便由此演变而来。
October——10月
英语10月,来自拉丁文Octo,即"8"的意思。它和上面讲的9月一样,历法改了,称呼仍然沿用未变。
November——11月
罗马皇帝奥古斯都和凯撒都有了自己名字命名的月份,罗马市民和元老院要求当时的罗马皇帝梯比里乌斯用其名命名11月。但梯比里乌斯没有同意,他明智地对大家说,如果罗马每个皇帝都用自己的名字来命名月份,那么出现了第13个皇帝怎么办?于是,11月仍然保留着旧称Novem,即拉丁文"9"的意思。英语11月November便由此演变而来。
December——12月
罗马皇帝琉西乌斯要把一年中最后一个月用他情妇的Amagonius的名字来命名,但遭但元老院的反对。于是,12月仍然沿用旧名Decem,即拉丁文"10"的意思。英语12月December,便由此演变而来。
疯狂英语365句
- Absolutely.((用于答话)是这样;当然是;绝对如此。)
- Absolutely impossible!(绝对不可能!)
- All I have to do is learn English.(我所要做的就是学英语。)
- Are you free tomorrow?(你明天有空吗?)
- Are you married?(你结婚了吗?)
- Are you used to the food here?(你习惯吃这儿的饭菜吗?)
- Be careful.(小心/注意。)
- Be my guest.(请便/别客气。)
- Better late than never.(迟做总比不做好。)
- Better luck next time.(祝你下一次好运。)
- Better safe than sorry.(小心不出大错。)
- Can I have a day off?(我能请一天假吗?)
- Can I help?(要我帮忙吗?)
- Can I take a message?(要我传话吗?)
- Can I take a rain check?(你能改天再请我吗?)
- Can I take your order?(您要点菜吗?)
- Can you give me a wake-up call?(你能打电话叫醒我吗?)
- Can you give me some feedback?(你能给我一些建议吗?)
- Can you make it?(你能来吗?)
- Can I have a word with you?(我能跟你谈一谈吗?)
- Catch me later.(过会儿再来找我。)
- Cheer up!(高兴起来!振作起来!)
- Come in and make yourself at home.(请进,别客气。)
- Could I have the bill, please?(请把帐单给我好吗?)
- Could you drop me off at the airport?(你能载我到机场吗?)
- Could you speak slower?(你能说得慢一点吗?)
- Could you take a picture for me?(你能帮我拍照吗?)
- Did you enjoy your flight?(你的飞行旅途愉快吗?)
- Did you have a good day today?(你今天过得好吗?)
- Did you have a nice holiday?(你假期过得愉快吗?)
- Did you have fun?(你玩得开心吗?)
- Dinner is on me.(晚饭我请客。)
- Do you have a room available?(你们有空房间吗?)
- Do you have any hobbies?(你有什么爱好吗?)
- Do you have some change?(你有零钱吗?)
- Do you mind my smoking?(你介意我抽烟吗?)
- Do you often work out?(你经常锻炼身体吗?)
- Do you speak English?(你会说英语吗?)
- Don't be so modest.(别这么谦虚了。)
- Don't bother.(不用麻烦了。)
- Don't get me wrong.(别误会我。)
- Don't give up.(别放弃。)
- Don't jump to conclusions.(不要急于下结论。)
- Don't let me down.(不要让我失望。)
- Don't make any mistakes.(别出差错。)
- Don't mention it.(不必客气。)
- Don't miss the boat.(不要坐失良机。)
- Don't take any chances.(不要存侥幸心理。)
- Don't take it for granted.(不要想当然。)
- Don't worry about it.(别担心。)
- Easy come, easy go.(来的容易,去的快。)
- Enjoy you meal.(请慢慢享用吧。)
- Easier said than done.(说时容易做时难。)
- First come, first served.(捷足先登。)
- For here or to go?(在这儿吃还是带走?)
- Forget it.(算了吧。)
- Forgive me.(请原谅我。)
- Give me a call.(给我打电话。)
- Give my best to your family.(代我向你们全家问好。)
- Have him return my call.(让他给我回电话。)
- Have you ever been to Japan?(你去过日本吗?)
- Have you finished yet?(你做完了吗?)
- Have you got anything larger?(有大一点的吗?)
- Have you got that?(你明白我的意思吗?)
- Have you heard from Marry?(你收到玛丽的来信吗?)
- He is in conference.(他正在开会。)
- Help yourself, please.(请自己用。)
- Hold your horses.(耐心点儿。)
- How can I get in touch with you?(我怎样能跟你联络上?)
- How do I look?(我看上去怎样?)
- How is it going?(情况怎么样?)
- How late are you open.(你们营业到几点?)
- How long did it last?(持续了多久?)
- How long will it take me to get there?(到那儿要多长时间?)
- How much is it?(多少钱?)
- How often do you eat out?(你隔多久在外面吃一次饭?)
- I apologize.(我很抱歉。)
- I appreciate your invitation.(感谢你的邀请。)
- I assure you.(我向你保证。)
- I bet you can.(我确信你能做到。)
- I can manage.(我自己可以应付。)
- I can't afford it.(我买不起。)
- I can't believe it.(我简直不敢相信。)
- I can't resist the temptation.(我不能抵挡诱惑。)
- I can't stand it.(我受不了。)
- I can't tell.(我说不准。)
- I couldn't agree more.(我完全同意。)
- I couldn't get through.(我打不通电话。)
- I couldn't help it.(我没有办法。)
- I didn't mean to.(我不是故意的。)
- I don't know for sure.(我不能肯定。)
- I enjoy your company.(我喜欢有你做伴。)
- I enjoyed it very much.(我非常喜欢。)
- I envy you.(我羡慕你。)
- I feel like having some dumplings.(我很想吃饺子。)
- I feel terrible about it.(太对不起了。)
- I feel the same way.(我也有同感。)
- I have a complaint.(我要投诉。)
- I have nothing to do with it.(那与我无关。)
- I haven't the slightest idea.(我一点儿都不知道。)
- I hope you'll forgive me.(我希望你能原谅我。)
- I know the feeling.(我知道那种感觉。)
- I mean what I say.(我说话算数。)
- I owe you one.(我欠你一个人情。)
- I really regret it.(我真的非常后悔。)
- I suppose so.(我想是这样。)
- I thought so, too.(我也这样以为。)
- I understand completely.(我完全明白。)
- I want to report a theft.(我要报一宗盗窃案。)
- I want to reserve a room.(我想预订一个房间。)
- I was just about to call you.(我正准备打电话给你。)
- I was moved. = I was touched.(我很受感动。)
- I wasn't aware of that.(我没有意识到。)
- I wasn't born yesterday.(我又不是三岁小孩。)
- I wish I could.(但愿我能。)
- I wouldn't worry about it, if I were you.(如果我是你,我就不会担心。)
- I'd like a refund.(我要想退款。)
- I'd like to deposit some money.(我想存点钱。)
- I'd like to make a reservation.(我想订票。)
- I'll be right with you.(我马上就来。)
- I'll check it.(我去查一下。)
- I'll do my best.(我将会尽我最大努力。)
- I'll get it.(我去接电话。)
- I'll give you a hand.(我来帮助你。)
- I'll have to see about that.(这事我得想一想再定。)
- I'll keep my eyes on.(我会留意的。)
- I'll keep that in mind.(我会记住的。)
- I'll pick up the tab.(我来付帐。)
- I'll play it by ear.(我将随兴而定。)
- I'll see what I can do.(我看一看能怎么办。)
- I'll show you.(我指给你。)
- I'll take care of it.(我来办这件事。)
- I'll take it.(我要了。)
- I'll take you advice.(我接受你的忠告。)
- I'll think it over.(我仔细考虑一下。)
- I'll treat you to dinner.(我想请你吃饭。)
- I'll walk you to the door.(我送你到门口。)
- I'm broke.(我身无分文。)
- I'm crazy about English.(我非常喜欢英语。)
- I'm easy to please.(我很随和。)
- I'm glad to hear that.(听到这消息我很高兴。)
- I'm glad you enjoyed it.(你喜欢我就高兴。)
- I'm good at it.(我做这个很在行。)
- I'm in a good mood.(我现在心情很好。)
- I'm in good shape.(我的身体状况很好。)
- I'm just having a look.(我只是随便看看。)
- I'm looking for a part time job.(我正在找兼职工作。)
- I'm looking forward to it.(我盼望着这件事。)
- I'm lost.(我给搞糊涂了。)
- I'm not feeling well.(我感觉不舒服。)
- I'm not myself today.(我今天心神不安。)
- I'm not really sure.(我不太清楚。)
- I'm on a diet.(我正在节食。)
- I'm on my way.(我这就上路。)
- I'm pressed for time.(我赶时间。)
- I'm sorry I'm late.(对不起,我迟到了。)
- I'm sorry to hear that.(听到这个消息我感到遗憾。)
- I'm under a lot of pressure.(我的压力很大。)
- I'm working on it.(我正在努力。)
- I've changed my mind.(我已经改变主意。)
- I've got a headache.(我头痛。)
- I've got my hands full.(我手头正忙。)
- I've got news for you.(我要告诉你一个好消息。)
- I've got no idea.(我不知道。)
- I've had enough.(我已经吃饱了。)
- If I were in you shoes.(如果我站在你的立场。)
- Is that OK?(这样可以吗?)
- Is this seat taken?(这位子有人坐吗?)
- It all depends.(视情形而定。)
- It can happen to anyone.(这事可能发生在任何人身上。)
- It doesn't make any difference.(都一样。)
- It doesn't matter to me.(这对我来说无所谓。)
- It doesn't work.(它出故障了。)
- It drives me crazy.(它使我快要发疯了。)
- It isn't much.(这是微不足道的。)
- It really comes in handy.(有了它真是方便。)
- It slipped my mind.(我不留神忘了。)
- It takes time.(这需要时间。)
- It will come to me.(我会想起来的。)
- It will do you good.(这会对你有好处。)
- It won't happen again.(下不为例。)
- It won't take much time.(不会花很多时间的。)
- It won't work.(行不通。)
- It's nice meeting you.(很高兴认识你。)
- It's a deal.(一言为定。)
- It's a long story.(真是一言难尽。)
- It's a nice day today.(今天天气很好。)
- It's a once in a lifetime chance.(这是一生难得的机会。)
- It's a pain in the neck.(这真是苦不堪言。)
- It's a piece of cake.(这很容易。)
- It's a small world.(这世界真小。)
- It's a waste of time.(这是浪费时间。)
- It's about time.(时间差不多了/是时候了。)
- It's all my fault.(都是我的错。)
- It's awesome.(棒极了。)
- It's awful.(真糟糕。)
- It's been a long time.(好久不见了。)
- It's better than nothing.(总比没有好。)
- It's essential.(这是必要的。)
- It's hard to say.(很难说。)
- It's incredible.(令人难以置信/不可思议。)
- It's just what I had in mind.(这正是我想要的。)
- It's my pleasure.(这是我的荣幸。)
- It's no big deal.(这没什么大不了的。)
- It's not your fault.(不是你的错。)
- It's nothing.(小事情/不足挂齿。)
- It's only a matter of time.(这只是时间问题。)
- It's out of the question.(这是不可能的。)
- It's time for dinner.(该吃晚饭了。)
- It's up in the air.(尚未决定。)
- It's up to date.(这个很时兴。)
- It's up to you.(一切由你决定。)
- It's very popular.(它很受欢迎。)
- It's worth seeing.(它绝对值得一看。)
- Just let it be.(就这样吧。)
- Just to be on the safe side.(为安全起见。)
- Keep the change.(不用找了。)
- Keep up the good work.(再接再厉。)
- Keep your fingers crossed.(为成功祈祷吧。)
- Kill two birds with one stone.(一举两得。)
- Let me get back to you.(我过一会儿打给你吧。)
- Let me guess.(让我猜一猜。)
- Let me put it this way.(让我这么说吧。)
- Let me see.(让我想一想。)
- Let's call it a day.(我们今天就到这儿吧。)
- Let's celebrate!(让我们好好庆祝一下吧!)
- Let's find out.(我们去问一下吧。)
- Let's get to the point.(让我们言归正传。)
- Let's get together sometime.(有时间我们聚一下吧。)
- Let's hope for the best.(让我们往好处想吧。)
- Let's keep in touch.(让我们保持联系。)
- Let's make up.(让我们言归于好吧。)
- Let's go visit them.(让我们去拜访他们吧。)
- Let's talk over dinner.(我们边吃边谈吧。)
- Long time no see.(好久不见。)
- Look before you leap.(三思而后行。)
- May I ask you a question?(我可以问一个问题吗?)
- May I have a receipt?(我可以要一张收据吗?)
- May I have your name, please?(请问你叫什么名字?)
- May I pay by credit card?(我可以用信用卡付款吗?)
- May I try it on?(我能试穿一下吗?)
- Maybe it will work(也许这个办法会有效。)
- Maybe some other time.(也许下一次吧。)
- My mouth is watering.(我在流口水。)
- My phone was out of order.(我的电话坏了。)
- No pain, no gain.(不劳则无获。)
- No problem.(没问题。)
- Nothing is impossible to a willing heart.(心之所愿,无事不成。)
- Pain past is pleasure.(过去的痛苦即是快乐。)
- Please accept my apology.(请接受我的道歉。)
- Please don't blame yourself.(请不要责怪你自己。)
- Please leave me alone.(请别打扰我。)
- Please let me know.(请告诉我一声。)
- Please make yourself at home.(请别客气。)
- Please show me the menu.(请把菜单给我。)
- Probably.(可能吧。)
- So far, so good.(到目前为止还好。)
- Something must be done about it.(必须得想个办法。)
- Something's come up.(发生了一些事。)
- Storms make trees take deeper roots.(风暴使树林深深扎根。)
- Suit yourself.(随你便。)
- Take care.(请多保重。)
- Take it or leave it.(要不要由你。)
- Take my word for it.(相信我的话。)
- Take your time.(慢慢来。)
- Thank you all the same.(不管怎样还是要谢谢你。)
- Thank you for everything.(感谢你做的一切。)
- Thanks a million.(非常感谢。)
- Thanks for the warning.(谢谢你的提醒。)
- Thanks for you cooperation.(多谢合作。)
- That couldn't be better.(那再好不过了。)
- That depends.(看情况。)
- That makes sense.(那可以理解。)
- That reminds me.(那可提醒我了。)
- That rings a bell.(我总算想起来了。)
- That sounds like a good idea.(那听上去是个好主意。)
- That's all right.(没关系。)
- That's disgusting.(真讨厌。)
- That's fair.(那样公平。)
- That's for sure.(那是肯定的。)
- That's good to know.(幸好知道了这件事。)
- That's just what I was thinking.(我也是这么想的。)
- That's life.(这就是生活。)
- That's more like it.(那样才像话。)
- That's not a problem.(那没问题。)
- That's not true.(那是不对的。)
- That's OK.(可以。)
- That's ridiculous.(那太荒唐了。)
- That's the way I look at it, too.(我也是这么想。)
- That the way it is.(就是这么回事。)
- That's worthwhile.(那是值得的。)
- The same to you.(你也一样。)
- The shortest answer is doing.(最简短的回答是干。)
- The sooner, the better.(愈快愈好。)
- There is a call for you.(有你的电话。)
- There is no doubt about it.(那是毫无疑问的。)
- There is nothing I can do.(我无能为力。)
- There's a possibility.(有这个可能。)
- These things happen all the time.(这是常有的事。)
- This soup tastes great.(这个汤非常美味。)
- Time is money.(时间就是金钱。)
- Tomorrow never comes.(莫依赖明天。)
- Two heads are better than one.(人多智广。)
- We are in the same boat.(我们的处境相同。)
- We can get by.(我们过得去。)
- We can work it out.(我们可以解决这个问题。)
- We have a lot in common.(我们有很多相同之处。)
- We'll see.(再说吧。)
- What a coincidence!(真是太巧了。)
- What a shame!(真是遗憾。)
- What are you up to?(你在忙什么呢?)
- What are you talking about?(你在说什么?)
- What are your plans for the weekend?(你周末计划做什么?)
- What can I do for you?(要我帮忙吗?)
- What do you do for relaxation?(你做什么消遣?)
- What do you recommend?(你推荐什么?)
- What do you think of my new car?(你觉得我的新车怎么样?)
- What do you think of it?(你觉得怎么样?)
- What is it about?(这是关于什么的?)
- What is it like there?(那儿怎么样?)
- What makes you say so?(你怎么这么说?)
- What's going on?(发生什么事了?)
- What's on your mind?(你在想什么呢?)
- What's the deadline?(截止到什么时候?)
- What's the matter with you?(你怎么啦?)
- What's the purpose of your visit?(你来访的目的是什么?)
- What's the weather like?(天气怎么样?)
- What's your favorite food?(你最喜欢的食物是什么?)
- What's your job?(你做什么工作?)
- What ever you think is fine with me.(我随你。)
- When is the most convenient time for you?(你什么时候最方便?)
- When will it be ready?(什么时候能准备好?)
- Where are you going?(你去哪儿?)
- Where can I check in?(在哪儿办理登记手续?)
- Where can I go for help?(我该怎么办呢?)
- Where do you live?(你住在哪儿?)
- Where have you been?(你去哪儿了?)
- Where is the rest room, please?(请问洗手间在哪?)
- Where were we?(我们说到哪儿了?)
- Who is in charge here?(这里谁负责?)
- Would you care for a drink?(你要不要来点喝的?)
- Would you do me a favor?(你能帮我一个忙吗?)
- You are just saying that.(你只是说说而已。)
- You are kidding.(你开玩笑吧。)
- You are so considerate.(你真有心。)
- You can count on me.(你可以指望我。)
- You can say that again.(我同意。)
- You can't complain.(你该知足了。)
- You deserve it.(这是你应得的。)
- You did a good job.(你干得很好。)
- You get what you pay for.(一分钱一分货。)
- You got a good deal.(你买得真便宜。)
- You need a vacation.(你需要休假。)
- You never know.(世事难料。)
- You said it.(你算说对了。)
- You should give it a try.(你应该试一试。)
- You should take advantage of it.(你应该好好利用这个机会。)
- You will be better off.(你的状况会好起来的。)
- You will have to wait and see.(你得等一等看。)
- You'll get used to it.(你会习惯的。)
- You've dialed the wrong number.(你拨错电话号码了。)
- You've got a point there.(你说的有道理。)
- You've got it.(你明白了。)
- You've made a good choice.(你的眼力不错。)
- Your satisfaction is guaranteed.(包你满意。)